Now, it's simply another electric car available to U.S. buyers--though that hasn't diminished the impact of the i3's concept-car styling, innovative interior and strong performance.
We've covered the i3 at length since its announcement, and brought together all our related articles for you to peruse. Those at the top of each list are newest, and those at the bottom allow you to look back at our earlier coverage.
The BMW i3 is a four-seat, rear-wheel drive electric or range-extended electric car.
Power comes from a 22 kWh lithium-ion battery--of which 18.8 kWh is listed as usable--and power to the road is transmitted by a 130 kW (170 horsepower) electric motor.
EPA-rated range is 81 miles for the pure battery version, and 72 miles for the range-extended or 'REx' model--though the latter can achieve 150 miles when its motorcycle-derived two-cylinder gasoline engine kicks in.
You'll pay $43,350 pre-incentives for the regular battery version, and $47,200 for the REx--while other incentives and rebates vary from state to state.
- 2015 BMW i3 Electric Car Price Raised $1,000 To $43,350 (New!)
- 2015 BMW i3 Electric Car: Quick Charging, Seat Heaters Now Standard (New!)
- 2014 BMW i3 Lease Deals Appear: $369/Month For Electric Car (New!)
- 2014 BMW i3 REx Window Sticker Revealed, 39 MPG On Gasoline: BREAKING
- 2014 BMW i3 Electric Car: Pure Battery Or Range Extender? Pros & Cons
- 2014 BMW i3 Electric Car Rated At 81 Miles, 124 MPGe: BREAKING
- 2014 BMW i3: Polarizing Looks, Average Range--Can It Succeed?
- Green Car Reports' Best Car To Buy Nominee: 2014 BMW i3
- What Do You Want To Know About The 2014 BMW i3 Electric Car?
- 2014 BMW i3 Electric Car: Roundup Of Driving Impressions
- 2014 BMW i3 Electric Car: Full Details And Images Released
- 2014 BMW i3 Finally Priced in U.S: $42,275 Pre-Incentives
- 2014 BMW i3 Electric Car: Specifications And Details Released
We've been able to drive both regular and range-extended versions of the BMW i3, but we've also featured the driving impressions of others--including owners of other electric vehicles. See how it stacks up by clicking on the following links.
- 2015 BMW i3 Video Road Test (New!)
- BMW i3 Faces VW e-Golf, Mercedes B-Class Electric Cars In New Reviews (New!)
- 2014 BMW i3 REx Vs Chevy Volt: Range-Extended Electric Cars Compared
- Nissan Leaf Vs BMW i3 Vs Volkswagen e-Golf: German Magazine Compares
- 2014 BMW i3: What A Tesla Driver Thinks Of New Electric BMW
- 2014 BMW i3 Electric Car: Likes And Dislikes From An Early Owner
- Skeptical German Reviewer Buys BMW i3 Electric Car: Likes The Car, Dislikes The Price
- 2014 BMW i3 REx: Range-Extended Electric Car Drive Report, By Very First Owner
- First Review In: 2014 BMW i3 Range Extender Performance Limited
2014 BMW i3
Plenty has been written on the i3, and you'll find most of it below--everything from the owner profile of i3 drivers to the kind of training dealers are receiving to sell the car.
- Is BMW i3 Electric Car Selling Better In U.S. Than Germany? (New!)
- BMW i Electric Car Sales Surge For 2014; More To Come, Company Says (New!)
- BMW i3 Electric Car Teardown: Profitable At 20,000 Units, Says Engineer (Video) (New!)
- BMW Launches Flexible Mobility Program For i3 Electric Car (New!)
- BMW i3 Sales Slow In Germany; Will They Hold Up In States? (New!)
- BMW i3 Electric-Car Incentives: Highest On The Battery-Only Model (New!)
- BMW i3 Electric Car Owners To Get Free DC Fast Charging Through 2015
- BMW i3 Electric Car Buyers: Mostly New To BMW (But Not i8 Owners)
- 2014 BMW i3 Vs 2014 Mercedes-Benz B-Class: Luxury Electric Car Comparison
- BMW: China Biggest Electric Car Market By 2019, i3 On Sale Soon
- 2014 BMW i3 Test Drive: No Help From Salesman For Electric-Car Buyer
- 2014 BMW i3 Electric Car Online Configurator Now Live
- First 2014 BMW i3 Electric Car Delivered To Buyer, In Boston
- 2014 BMW i3: What Staff Training Ride & Drives Revealed
- 2014 BMW i3 Electric-Car Production Rises To Meet Strong Demand
- Not All BMW ActiveE Drivers Moving To BMW i3, Poll Finds
- 2014 BMW i3 Gets CA Carpool-Lane Access: Battery Only, So Far
- BMW's Toughest Task: Training Its Dealers On i3 Electric Car
- 2014 BMW i3 Electric-Car Orders Limited To Single Trim Level (For 3 Months)
- BMW i3 Demand Will Be Strong In U.S. Too, Says Executive
- 2014 BMW i3 Electric Car: Why California Set Range Requirements, Engine Limits
- BMW Ponders Production Boost For i3 Electric Car After High European Demand
- 2014 BMW i3 Electric Car: Production Begins Today In Germany
- 2014 BMW i3 Electric Car Revealed In Leaked Images
- 2014 BMW i3 Electric Car Unveiling On July 29: Video
- BMW To Use Geniuses Like Apple--To Sell i3 Electric Cars
- 2014 BMW i3 Electric Car Live Photos: Frankfurt Auto Show
- BMW i3 Concept: Battery Electric Urban Minicar—Full Details
2014 BMW i3
The i3 is quite intriguing under the skin, using a carbon-fiber reinforced plastic structure with aluminum subframes--the former making up the car's safety cell, the latter housing the car's electronics.
BMW has also filled the i3 with clever technology and fashioned a trendy loft apartment-style cockpit for it--further details on which you can read in the links below.
- BMW i3 To Get Fuel Cell Version With Toyota Tech? (New!)
- BMW Smartphone App Helps Cut Home Electric Car Charging Costs
- Watch The BMW i3 Electric Car Park Itself, As Owner Reacts (Video)
- 2014 BMW i3: Cheaper To Repair, Insure Than You'd Expect
- 2014 BMW i3 Electric Car Drivers Can Opt For Solar Charging Service
- BMW i Genius: Artificial Intelligence Answers Electric Car Queries
- 2014 BMW i3 Electric Car: Connectivity, Navigation Highlights
- BMW i3's Tall Skinny Tires To Boost Efficiency (And Cut Noise)
The range-extended i3, or i3 REx, provides i3 buyers with another alternative to the usual pure battery-electric car.
For almost $4,000 extra, they get extra peace of mind over longer-distance driving. The REx also lacks a few of the perks of battery-electric i3 motoring, and can't go quite as far on a charge of the actual battery--but for some, the tradeoff will be worth it.
- BMW i3 REx: Road-Tripping With 72 Electric Miles, 1.9-Gallon Gas Tank (New!)
- 2014 BMW i3: Is Range Extended Version Outselling Battery Only?
- BMW i3 REx Range-Extended Electric: No NJ Sales-Tax Exemption, Costing Owners Extra $3,000-Plus
- 2014 BMW i3 REx Range-Extended Electric Car: On Hold At Ports (UPDATED)
- 2014 BMW i3 Range-Extended Model Gets Full $2,500 CA Rebate For Electric Cars
- 2014 BMW i3 Range Extender: No White CA Carpool-Lane Sticker, Here's Why
- 2014 BMW i3 With Range Extender Priced At $46,125, Or $3,850 More
- 2014 BMW i3 Range Extender: Heavier, Less Electric Range, Less Performance
- BMW i3 Electric Car: ReX Range Extender Not For Daily Use?
- BMW i3 Electric Car: Motorcycle Engine Range-Extender For 250 Mile Range
2014 BMW i3 REx owned by Tom Moloughney
2014 BMW i3 REx owned by Tom Moloughney
Media, promotion and offbeat
The i3 is a high-profile car--it's a BMW, after all--and we've already seen it subject to celebrity endorsements and a little on-track action. Read about BMW's i3 promotion and other offbeat news at the links below.
- BMW i3 Electric Car Super Bowl TV Ad: Now It's Out [UPDATED] (News!)
- Lexus CT 200h Hybrid Ad Slams Electric BMW i3: Gloves Come Off: FURTHER UPDATE (New!)
- First Body Kit For BMW i3 Electric Car: Looks Tougher, Probably Less Efficient (New!)
- How To Recharge Any Electric Car, Anywhere, Any Time (Video) (New!)
- 2014 BMW i3 REx 38-HP Range Extender Vs. 14,000-Foot Mountain: Who Wins?
- Who Wins Electric-Car Brand Battle? BMW, Tesla Have The Buzz Now
- Will Hollywood Abandon Tesla Model S For BMW i3 Electric Car?
- Stock Commentator Jim Cramer Caught Off Guard By Tesla-Fan Ferocity
- Top Gear's James May To Buy 2014 BMW i3 REx Electric Car
- Do The BMW i3 And i8 Electric Cars Pose A Threat To Tesla?
- BMW Designs Custom Solar Charging Station For i3, i8
- Actress Anne Hathaway Is NOT The First 2014 BMW i3 Owner In The U.S.
- 2014 BMW i3 On The Track: Maker Releases First Hot-Lap Video
- Want To Test-Drive BMW's i3 Electric Car? Join The Other 100,000...
- BMW Celebrates 40 Years Of Electric Cars, From 1602 To i3