For our guide, we’ve hand-picked the best information about the five-seat hatchback, detailing everything from its debut through to its pedestrian warning system, its in-car telematics and even the occasional celebrity appearance.
To keep up with the latest information, don’t forget to bookmark this page and visit it regularly. Alternatively, you can always follow the latest news on the 2014 Ford Focus Electric on our Facebook page for GreenCarReports, or follow us on Twitter @greencarreports.
The basicsSo what should you know about Ford's rival to the more established Nissan Leaf?
Under the hood, you'll find a 107-kilowatt (143-horsepower) electric motor. A 23 kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack provides the power, and its official EPA range is 76 miles.
It also gets a 105 MPG-equivalent rating with energy use of 32 kWh per 100 miles--slightly below the Leaf's 114 MPGe, 30 kWh/100-mi rating.
While the Leaf has no dedicated thermal management system for the battery, the Focus does--and the ability for it to cool or warm the battery depending on conditions should ensure range is preserved a little better in temperature extremes.
A recent price cut has softened the Focus Electric's sticker price, which now begins at $35,995 including a mandatory $825 destination charge--but not including any federal or local incentives or tax rebates.
- 2014 Ford Focus Electric: No Updates, No Love For Ford's Electric Orphan
- Ford Focus Electric A Compliance Car? Ford Swears It's Not
- So What's An 'MPGe' Anyway? Ford Explains It All For You
- 2012 Ford Focus Electric: Overly Timid Or Cleverly Cautious?
- 2012 Ford Focus Electric NYC Debut: What You Need To Know
- 2012 Ford Focus Electric Is Greener Than You Might Think
- Ford Shares More About Delayed 2012 Focus Electric Car
Driving the Ford Focus Electric
The Focus is already a fun car so the Electric is off to a good start, and there's enough power and torque from the electric motor to tackle city and highway driving. We described it as "solid, smooth and sporty" after driving for the first time.
If you want to know more, check out our first drive review, below. To find out even more on the Focus Electric, head over to The Car Connection's full review of the 2014 Ford Focus Electric.
2012 Ford Focus Electric, New York City, April 2012
Buying and owning the Ford Focus Electric
Tempted by an electric Focus, after reading the basics and our first drive review? You may also be interested in some of the following links then, which provide a little more information on what the Focus will be like to buy and own.
Particularly interesting is Ford's run-down of all the parts you won't be changing, compared to a regular car. If you don't like maintenance, this is probably the vehicle for you!
- After Price Cut, Will More Choose 2014 Focus Electric Over C-Max Energi? (New!)
- 2014 Ford Focus Electric Gets $4,000 Price Cut To Boost Sales (New!)
- Ford Boost Dealers Selling Plug-In Electric Cars To 900
- Ford Focus Electric Incentives: $10K Off 3-Year Lease Or $2K Cash
- $199-A-Month Lease On 2012 Ford Focus Electric Matches Nissan
- First 2012 Ford Focus Electric Delivered To Retail Buyer, Very Quietly
- 2012 Ford Focus Electric: 105 MPGe, 76-Mile Range...10 Sales
- 2012 Ford Focus Electric: Here's What Dealers Have To Do To Sell It
- Ford Focus Electric: Plug-In To The Most Maintenance-Free Ford Yet
- 2012 Ford Focus Electric Won’t Be Available Outside NY, CA Until Sept.
- 2012 Ford Focus Electric Sales To Squeak Into 'End Of Year'
- Nissan Leaf Vs. Ford Focus Electric: Compare Cars
- Ford Focus Electric Vs Chevy Volt: Which Would You Buy, And Why?
- BREAKING: 2012 Ford Focus Electric, Order From $39,995
- 2012 Ford Focus Electric Only Available in NY, CA This Year
2012 Ford Focus Electric
Focus Electric safety and technology
Like many electric cars, the Focus Electric is quite app-heavy--if you run your world from your smartphone, then you know what to expect.
Below, you can also read (and watch) how the Focus Electric is built, on the same assembly line as its combustion cousins.
- Ford To Recall Focus Electrics For Potential Power Loss Issue (New!)
- Ford Focus Electric Drivers: Has Your Electric Car Suddenly Stalled? (New!)
- 2012 Ford Focus Electric SmartPhone App, Website, Goes Live
- Ford: Using Apps To Maximize Your Electric Car Experience
- 2012 Ford Focus Electric: How It's Built On Same Assembly Line (Video)
- 2012 Ford Focus Electric: Full Production Details Unveiled At CES
- 2012 Ford Focus Electric Won’t Have a Pedestrian Alert Noisemaker
- No, 2012 Ford Focus Electrics Don’t Have Roof-Mounted Solar Panels
- Ford Using Consumers To Develop Displays On 2012 Focus Electric
Focus Electric marketing and social media
Want to know about Ford's use of an electric Focus as a NASCAR pace car? Or find out why you've not really seen the car advertised? Check out some of the links below.
- 'Quietest, Slowest' Comparison Ever: 6 Electric Cars Tested By Car And Driver (New!)
- Ford Focus Electric Production Began In Germany Last Week
- Ford Focus Electric Won't Sell Well, Says Ford
- 2012 Ford Focus Electric To Pace NASCAR Race
- 2012 Ford Focus Electric: Small Ad Budget Due To Low Sales Of Volt, Fisker
- 2012 Ford Focus Electric To Do Cross-Country Road Trip
- Ford Teases All-New 2012 Focus Electric With Facebook Photos
- Ford Polls Facebook Fans for 2012 Focus Electric Noises (Video)
- 2012 Ford Focus Electric Edges Close To Production With New Microsite
- 2012 Ford Focus Gives Letterman a Late Show Test-Drive