Advertisement

Gas Prices Rising, But Not For The Reasons You May Think

Follow Nikki

Over the past week or so, we’ve seen the average price of gasoline hit $3.60 per gallon of regular, with some areas of the country -- like California -- reaching a heady $4 a gallon. 

But while the Syrian uprising and political tensions between Iran and the West over its nuclear program are playing a small part in increasing the price you pay at the pump, energy specialists say the biggest culprit lies closer to home.

In short, the U.S. isn’t refining as much gasoline as it once was. 

During Wednesday’s All Things Considered on NPR, Fadel Gheit, senior energy analyst at investment firm Oppenheimer and Co., explained that outdated and unprofitable oil refineries had been closed down in recent years. 

Declining Refineries

“The supply of gasoline has been declining,” he explained. “We have 700,000 barrels of refining capacity [that were shut down] in the last three months. That is almost 5 percent of U.S. gasoline production...now offline.”

Most of the recently closed refineries -- more than energy analyst Phil Verleger has seen in his 39-year career -- have been closed down as a direct consequence of the type of oil now common on the market. 

High Sulfur Crude

Traditionally, so-called “sweet” low-sulfur crude was refined into gasoline, but as supplies have dwindled the cost of sweet crude has risen, more refineries have started to process high-sulfur crude. 

But high-sulfur crude, while cheaper to buy, requires more processing in order to remove the higher levels of sulfur.  In turn, that means older refineries must be retrofitted with expensive equipment designed to deal with the higher levels of sulfur.

The U.S. isn’t alone in a reduction of oil refineries either. According to Verleger, a large oil refinery in Europe has also had a big impact on U.S. gasoline supplies. 

Offshore Oil Rig

Offshore Oil Rig

Enlarge Photo

Exports Impact Domestic Sales

With a drop in domestic gasoline production, you may expect the U.S. is importing more oil than normal, accounting for a rise in gas prices. 

But the truth is the exact opposite. Over recent years, the amount of foreign gasoline imported into the U.S. has dramatically dropped, while the export of gasoline has increased. 

And with increased gasoline exports, there’s even less gasoline for domestic customers. 

Driving A High Gas-Mileage Future?

At the moment, gas prices are having a negative effect on the bank balances of Americans nationwide.

But if it continues, the rise in gas prices could help the U.S. auto industry, which has focused a lot of attention in the past few years on producing high gas mileage cars, hybrids and plug-in cars. 

The good news? Gas consumption has been falling since 2006, and will likely continue as more high gas mileage cars hit the market.

+++++++++++

Follow GreenCarReports on Facebook and Twitter.

Posted in:
Advertisement
 
Follow Us

 

Have an opinion?

  • Posting indicates you have read this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use
  • Notify me when there are more comments
Comments (4)
  1. Further decline in US refinement suggests more and more that th world has already hit peak oil within the last year or so. This, coupled with China overtaking the USA in June last year as a larger importer of oil, means these price-hikes really are the visible beginning of the end for oil.
     
    Post Reply
    +2
    Bad stuff?

  2. This article is a lie to propagate the political agenda of this site. The us fuel repositories are overflowing with gasoline, that's why refineries are shutting down. There has never been so much gas and oil stockpiled as there is now, as both producers and refiners take advantage of the absurd prices. The reason prices are so high is that Wall Street is dumping it's free FED money into speculative stocks, and commodities. As the DOW goes, so does oil and gas. Speculation is 80% of the price, supply and demand is the other 20%. If we simply reverted to the commodity trading rules of the 90s, limits on positions and public statements of holdings, commodities could not be games like this.
     
    Post Reply
    -2
    Bad stuff?

  3. http://money.cnn.com/2011/12/05/news/economy/gasoline_export/index.htm

    CNN said we have so much we're exporting it just a few months ago.
     
    Post Reply
    Vote
    Bad stuff?

     
  4. We're still exporting, but it's the sour crude.
     
    Post Reply
    Vote
    Bad stuff?

 

Have an opinion? Join the conversation!

Advertisement
Advertisement

Get FREE Dealer Quotes

From dealers near you
Go!

Find Green Cars

Go!

Advertisement

 
© 2014 Green Car Reports. All Rights Reserved. Green Car Reports is published by High Gear Media. Send us feedback. Stock photography by izmo, Inc.
Advertisement